Thursday, April 9, 2015

A long time coming

It's the middle of our Spring Break week down south and boy, what a week it's been. I wish I could say I had this whole thing mapped out in my mind when we left NYC last Thursday, but really I've been taking it all one day at a time and it's mostly because Nacho had a really important trip this week that kind of made my/our heads spin.  A month ago he got a call about a job interview and this week he was able to travel to take part in it. Coming so soon after his jump to a new airline last summer, it wasn't exactly how we envisioned our lives going. He was with his last employer for over 9 years, so he definitely doesn't take switching jobs lightly.  But sometimes when you get a call like this, you just have seize the moment and go for it. And he did. I wish I could go into more detail now, but since he isn't ready to share all the juicy bits quite yet, I'll just say that it was an amazing two day trip. I left the girls with mom and dad to drive myself down south for a few days to hang with Nacho before and after his big day.  Stuff like this doesn't really happen often for us, so it felt especially weird, but wonderful just to be the two of us with so much to ponder.  We were alternating between giddy and completely anxious, but at least we were together which was some bit of comfort.  And what a nerve-wracking day it was. I really have never felt we had so much at stake, both for him professionally and for us as a family.  And it was all out of my control which is another unsettling feeling for someone who likes to pretend she has her shit together. So yeah, it has been a very tumultuous week, but I'm pleased to say that the outcome was everything I'd hoped for. It feels kind of like he won the lottery--if it was a mix of something you earned and somehow pure luck too.  Nacho has an opportunity to do something he's always dreamed of and it's pretty amazing to watch that sense of accomplishment take hold. For 16 years I've been right here listening to him and supporting him to reach those goals, and he's made me feel like his partner in every sense of the word.  We've had our struggles to get here, but I couldn't be prouder of what he's achieved.  The next couple of months will likely bring more uncertainty as this new chapter begins, but that's okay. I'm ready for it. We're ready for it. Stay tuned... 

No comments: