Friday, May 17, 2013

Appreciation

Before another weekend rolls by, I should really recap how nice my Mother's Day was. Nacho was off both Saturday and Sunday so that alone made me happy. Sometimes when his days off are one at a time and scattered throughout the week, it's anxiety-producing because I feel like we're not using them wisely--too much time spent running errands or laundry. So having two in a row felt like we had all the time in the world to hang out and just do a few fun things along with the usual park runs.  Of course, I like to think of myself as a low maintenance woman so when Mother's Day rolls around, Nacho  knows better than to worry about buying me anything elaborate. In years past, he has indulged me in a spa gift certificate, but that was probably because he was making up for the year I was pregnant with Elisa when he said I wasn't really a mother yet. Okay, in hindsight, he was probably right, but somehow being 7 moths pregnant at the time I felt I was entitled to some celebration for getting the fetus that far.  Flash forward 5 years and I was rewarded with homemade cards, a bracelet and paper flowers from Elisa who absolutely beamed with pride. She was so excited to give these gifts to me and I was truly, deeply appreciative. It's times like that when I really look at her and see how far she's come and realize we're only still beginning to know each other. How cool is that? 
The rest of the morning was spent at T-ball at SGP which went marginally better than the first week, then a donut run to Peter Pan Bakery in Greenpoint, BK where we scored some major glazed goodness. After a couple of failed runs there lately, this felt like a real coup. Of course we didn't get there until almost 12:30 p.m. which had something to do with it. I mean, who's ever heard of a donut shop having more donuts later in the day?   They're nuts--or catering to hipsters. Hard to tell.  Anyway, I returned to flowers secretly bought and stashed on the dining room table and a nice, quiet evening at home with the girls and an easy dinner while they slept. The sweet snuggles at bedtime were probably the highlight of an otherwise enjoyable day and another reminder that being a mom is mostly about the things money can't buy. It's what makes me happy I'm here every day right now.  Mother's Day was just an excuse to rest in between the diaper changes and multiple requests for food and toys and entertainment. Some day it will mean breakfast in bed prepared by my girls after a nice morning sleeping in. Some day...

No comments: