Thursday, May 30, 2013

A last minute trip...

Just when I started to feel like life with two kids wasn't spontaneous enough, I went and proved myself wrong. I'd been feeling a bit lazy lately thinking of all the days we've frittered away hanging out at home or just schlepping to the park when we have such a big, diverse city to explore at our fingertips. I feel like I had more energy a year ago when Carolina could still be strapped into a stroller and off we'd go. Looking at my blog entries lately was just a reminder that life had become very...well, predictable. And then there was the matter of my mom's upcoming birthday. For many of the last several years, we've flown down to North Carolina around Memorial Day weekend to celebrate her birthday on the 30th. This year it didn't fall during the holiday weekend so it gave us an out to stay home and enjoy the fair. But something about the start of warmer weather and the prospect of a beach trip was calling me still. And my mom turning 65 was another perfect reason--we needed to get ourselves on a plane. So we did. 

It wasn't until we were on the way home from dinner in the park Wednesday night, that I decided though.  Suddenly I had that surge of energy and excitement that I would need for the trip, so I packed up the suitcase and put the girls to bed. Nacho has to work three of the next four days which also made the decision easy. If it was going to be in the 90s in New York City and equally hot in NC, I'd rather be where there's central A/C and a beach, right? Oh and family too. Let's not forget. It also helped a lot that there were plenty of open seats on the first flight and it didn't leave until 9:30 a.m.--not too early after a late night. So the stage was set, and honestly, things couldn't have gone better. This was my first time traveling alone with the girls and they really did me a favor. They made it so easy.  I kept Carolina on my lap for takeoff and landing and then she wiggled into the seat between Elisa and me for a bit. We ate Skittles and played with books. By the time Carolina was going a little nuts and bothering the lady behind us with constant games of peek-a-boo, it was time to break out the big guns: Carebears on DVD. That lasted for about 10 minutes and then Carolina was back at her standing and sitting routine. But we tried the Fresh Beats and that seemed a better draw for both girls. By the time I knew it, we were almost landing and I was confident the worst had passed. Except for Elisa's 5 minute tirade about having to pee just before landing (mind you, she had already gone once on the plane). Otherwise, it was smooth sailing and we made it out of the airport and into Grandma's arms just like we'd envisioned. The drive home was punctuated with a quick bite of lunch at Port City Java and a mocha shake for the rest of the way home. The mood was light and we were all enjoying the reunion. The girls waited to nap until we made it back to mom and dad's which worked out well. A cake was made and groceries bought for the rest of the weekend. There might not be presents to unwrap, but I think Grandma got exactly what she wanted. This visit wasn't a done deal 24 hours ago, but it definitely came together in just the right way. We're very happy to be here and now we're just waiting to see Stacey and family on Saturday and celebrate all over again. That will be the best present any of us could give. 
Happy birthday, Mom. We love you. 

No comments: