Sunday, March 3, 2013

Taking the high road

In the past few days I can tell I've had a surge of energy. Maybe it's changing the calendar or just the hope that spring is around the corner, but I feel like I want to get out more. So yesterday I took the morning sunshine to mean that maybe we could go for a city adventure of some kind even if it might not the be the spring temps I was hoping for.  We were up and fed and out the door by about 10:30 a.m. which was a nice change.  So many days it feels like we fritter away the morning and then it's naptime for Carolina and we haven't done anything. The laziness has become almost depressing which is probably why I am so ready for spring and inching ever closer to the Twos and the hope that maybe a stroller nap will suffice sometimes. But yesterday, we had the benefit of Nacho being off on a Saturday and the girls were mostly cooperative getting dressed. So we were off.  I decided taking the Roosevelt Island Tramway would be our surprise for the girls, and I can say I'm honestly not sure why it took us 8 years of living here to do this.  It was a great way to see the city from up high and I think we all enjoyed it equally--a rare feat!
And now for our return ride...
We didn't make it far after our little ride across and back, but that's okay. The sun gave way to clouds and a few flurries and we were ready to hit the playground and then home. But I have a feeling we will be back in better weather soon to check out the lighthouse at the northern end of the island or the park at the southern tip. I saw so many little parks and places of interest just as we were driving around. The area definitely has a small neighborhood vibe and somewhat older 1970s feel. I suppose it's a unique part of NYC in that it is its own tiny island in a city full of them. And if Elisa and Carolina's reactions to the tram ride were just what I'd hoped--quietly awed and glued to the windows--Nacho's amazement at the scenery was an added bonus. Going in the midmorning on a lazy Saturday meant it wasn't a crowded tram and so we grabbed good seats up front in both directions. The girls wouldn't take their eyes off the skyline as we inched ever closer to the skyscrapers in Manhattan and then came back and descended over the East River towards Queens. Nacho spoke to another dad at the park who said we have to come back in the evening when it's even better with all the twinkling lights. Sounds perfect....but I'll wait til summer.


2 comments:

jessie said...

cool photos, we've been wanting to do this!

Ann Price said...

Jessie, the boys would LOVE it. Seriously, it was way cool. Oliver might not want to come off of it though!