Thursday, February 28, 2013

Kinder panic


As February comes to a close, the deadline approaches for applying to Kindergarten in the public school system here in New York City.  A few months ago March 1st felt like it would give me plenty of time to figure out what I wanted for Elisa.  And to be honest, since the charter schools don't make their cut off for another 4 weeks, I guess there's still a feeling that I have time.  Nothing is certain yet.  Because as much as I would love to be done with this process and signed up for the Dual Language program at our zoned public P.S. 150 (which is wishful thinking--those spots won't be filled until June so here's to waiting and hoping), I think it's been helpful to go through these hoops and really evaluate what kind of education I want for our oldest daughter. It's a big decision.  I don't want to mess it up.  Not for her and not for her sister.  Because with siblings riding the coat tails into most schools, there is a strong possibility that Carolina will end up in the same place.

So I think I'm warranted in debating the options over and over again and picking apart the pros and cons of each.  Not knowing what I'll be up to in another 6 months to a year and how my own commute might affect our school scenario is also scary. I don't want to just take the easy way out, but I also know myself. And busting my ass every day to get two kids off to different locations before 8 a.m. and then myself to work sounds daunting. Very daunting.  I could barely make it to work on time when it was just me. Ha. Oh, God, what I would love to say to my former self. So many conversations I wouldn't be able to even comprehend. And yes, there are some buses and I don't think I'm terrified of the idea of putting Elisa on a bus. It's again a question of timing. Will she be at the beginning of the route and picked up blocks away at 7 a.m.? Or will we luck out and she might be picked up just as they are swinging over to Astoria or LIC? It all sounds so hypothetical and it makes me think that walking my daughter a few blocks to school every morning at our neighborhood school is the best option. Now only if I knew about those G&T results...ah yes, that will be my April surprise.

I've only toured two charter schools so far and I wasn't overwhelmed with either. And they're the good ones. I guess it just goes to show you that nothing can compare to your own nostalgia for elementary school. I can't imagine my own parents judging poor Mrs. Benson at Fleetridge Elementary in the same way as I'm looking these schools over. What's your teaching philosophy? What reading program do you use? Is there a second language, if so how often? Will the entire school lunch program be organic next year?  Can parents attend the morning meeting? I mean, really? WTF? I guess I'm just a traditionalist at heart because I don't think my place is at school every morning in the classroom sitting on the floor next to Elisa finding out how the day is going to progress for her. It's school. It's her world. What I hope is that I can find the best world for her to learn and grow in. And just about any place that is safe and has caring teachers will do.  Weeding through that and really understanding how each school sets itself apart is the trick, I suppose. But for now at least, my part is done. The applications are submitted and so I wait. And wait. And hopefully, when the dust settles it will be time to still enjoy some of our summer with this spring of "Kinder Panic" mania behind us.

No comments: