Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Carolina Birthdays Part I

Earlier in the month, I realized that it just wouldn't feel like March unless we were planning a trip to North Carolina to celebrate my nephew and dad's birthdays at the end of the month. So when I figured out that Elisa was off for the whole week between Palm and Easter Sundays, it felt like the right time to take a little trip. Nacho was off work last Friday so we hightailed it out of town on the first flight to the Raleigh area. Part of what I love about our flight benefits is that they allow us to be so flexible with dates. But what's sometimes confusing and a bit risky is that the flight loads are always changing...right up until take-off sometimes. And when you fly standby as we often do, it can mean trying all day or multiple days to get out of town if the weather sucks or flights cancel for other reasons.  That said, we made a mid-morning decision to skip the Raleigh-Durham flight which was showing oversold by 1 and head for the Greensboro-bound flight with double digit vacancies. A one-way rental car was about $50 and that sealed the deal. At least we had a chance, and it was only about an hour and a half drive to Stacey's home in Apex, NC.  But of course, this all sounds much more logical in hindsight. Nacho and I had to make the decision as we were literally packing the bags and heading off to the airport. I'm glad he's my traveling partner, because it all went incredibly well. We even managed to grab a few burgers from Pat Lafrieda's at LGA while we waited which were pretty decent. Kinda makes up for the fact that he missed out on Jordan's birthday dinner at Lucky 32, a Southern comfort food mecca, on Sunday night. Oh well. I think I ate enough pulled pork and Johnny cakes for both of us...

Making it down to Jacksonville with Mom and Dad yesterday was the next leg of the journey.  It was a fairly painless 2 hour road trip mostly because I had more success getting the girls to nap than on our crazy dance party-fueled trip from Greensboro. They both passed out within the first 30 minutes which meant a pleasant, if quiet, trip down I-40 with me riding alongside them in the back seat checking Facebook on my phone in peace.  We made it in the door and the first thing I grabbed was the tub full of Little People and dumped them in the middle of the living room. It worked like a charm and for almost an hour, the girls were engrossed in their own world. How come they never play like this at home? Is it the power of the Little People? I don't know and I don't care. It works. Even this morning after our 7 a.m. wakeup call, I found the box of toys (and a few Tinkerbell movies on Netflix) kept everyone happy and busy. I lounged around in my borrowed faux leopard robe (Mom insists it's new and only cost $4--good thing) sipping coffee and relaxing. I'm a little disappointed the weather hasn't been better this week since it's usually a good 10-20+ degrees warmer down here. But it's been rainy and gray and cold all weekend which means that playing around in the yard and heading to the beach aren't high on my list of things to do. We'll see if that changes later in the week. But for now, this is enough. Hanging out with the grandparents and hoping that they don't get too spoiled with candy dishes and treats galore. We'll be ready to run it off in the park when we get home.

No comments: