Saturday, March 9, 2013

Bakers dozen


So this is what I decided to do on a dreary, snowy day in March--make cookies! But not just any cookies, mind you. I was really craving the kind of chunky chocolate chip crazy big cookies you get from a bakery. Not exactly my normal open-a-bag-and-dump-in-butter-and-an-egg kind that will do in a pinch. So I found a recipe online that sounded promising and I waited until I had Elisa around to help. Of course, it would have been easier to just make them while she was in school, but I had visions of her donning the little play apron she loves to wear and standing next to me as we mixed them all up.  And part of that happened.  She grabbed the step stool to peer over my bowl as I dumped in the flour, and then I had her measure out the baking soda which worked pretty well.  But then she started badgering me about cracking the eggs and we weren't at that point yet. Plus, I'll be honest. I've seen Elisa smash more than one egg in her attempt to get me one I can use.  I didn't think I was stalling her too much, but by the time I was ready to add the eggs to the creamed sugar, she was back to watching Spongebob and had zero interest in being my little baking assistant. So I shrugged and went back to baking in peace. Yes, that's the reality of cooking with kids right now. It sounds like a good idea, but it's a much better proposition to bring them warm cookies on the couch as a bonus for letting mama have a few minutes of calm in the kitchen. Everyone wins this way. And when you've been cooped up inside all day long, sometimes it's nice to have a few minutes in your own corner to just zone out--and eat chocolate.

No comments: