Sunday, July 22, 2012

Rainy day plans

On Friday we made it into the city for a bit of rainy day fun. The weather this summer has been pretty tolerable for the most part. It seems like whenever the heat waves subside there's a nice break and we can move around a bit more.  So even though showers were predicted all day, I thought why not just get out and enjoy it. I was kind of inspired by our trip last week to meet Aunt Barbara where I made it all day on my own with the two girls. This time I decided to take the stroller so I wouldn't have to carry Carolina around the whole time and I think that was a wise choice.  We met up with Carmen and Leonardo to head into the Upper West Side originally to hit the Natural History Museum but it was understandably packed. So lunch at Leonardo's favorite pizza restaurant followed by a haircut for Elisa and some shopping was just as fun. At least for us--the kids kept asking about the museum and we kept putting them off. Maybe we'll see if it's not busy later. Hmmmm...still busy. But in truth, they took it pretty well and we all were relieved when the rain let up and we could walk a little more through Central Park. "Hey, this reminds me...of Central Park," Leo exclaimed. And for good reason. It was! He was so tickled we ended up there, and he and Elisa gave his new bat and ball a workout. 

Yes, it was a good day to be out and about even though we got a little wet. We made a late pitstop at Magnolia for a little cupcake action which I'm sure helped push us onward. Nothing like some sugar to fuel the crazies.  And of course Carolina stayed happy go lucky which just makes everything easier. That girl is too good to me sometimes.  We managed to get everyone back on the train and home before dinner time and the inevitable meltdowns. So it was a successful stroller-free outing which isn't always easy. And I for one am impressed these kids found the stamina to walk as much as they did. They complained a little about tired legs, but they found the energy to keep going. Somehow. And it makes me think that in another few months, we'll be doing more of this and wearing sweaters and jeans to keep us warm. Ahhhh...fall. I am ready to meet you soon.

No comments: