Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chasing Fireflies

On Saturday night we had the chance to close down Sunnyside Gardens Park a little later than the usual 8:30 p.m. curfew.  It was the annual Firefly Night which almost didn't happen but was resurrected by some friends in our playgroup, and so the park stayed open until 10 p.m. It was our first time attending and I think Elisa really got into the spirit of it with her glow sticks and net. In fact, all the kids I saw were having a great time and it really reminded me of the long evenings I spent catching fireflies around my Nana's yard. Summer just isn't the same until you've hunted a few of those neon yellow bugs bobbing and weaving around the tall grass. The park's open field was buzzing with activity but I new better than to mill about in the middle of the thing. I stuck to the sides and after a little while, I caught my first bug of the night. 
By the end we had two fireflies to show for our efforts and Elisa named them Lily and Gilly before we wished them a fond farewell.  It was a "catch and release" kind of affair luckily for the bugs.  Off into the night sky they flew and it was fun to see how excited the kids still were on the way out.  Yes, there was popcorn and glow sticks and nets and bugs.  All exciting in their own way and yet combined, it was a perfect summer's evening. Telling my mom about it after she saw some of the photos, she replied that it's really special what these kids have within the park in Sunnyside. And it's something I've said again and again but bears repeating.  These days of lounging poolside or chasing fireflies through the night at the park are very special indeed. We are making memories for Elisa that she will grow into adulthood wanting to recreate.  I can still tell you the excitement I felt at hanging out after dark playing hide and seek or kick the can with neighborhood kids when I was young.  The feeling of summer as one long day with all the activity and time for friends you could muster is what I hope she will glean from this.  It feels so good to be outside and among friends when the sun is setting.  Summer is the time to do this and the park is where we know we'll always find our group.  How lucky we are.   

No comments: