Saturday, November 19, 2011

Almost there

This week we've really turned a corner on the potty training front. Like big time. Elisa has been wearing her big girl panties since Monday and we've had only two accidents that I can count. Of course, she's still in the pull-ups for naps and bedtime, but today it was dry post-nap and I told her that's pretty awesome. She seems to be loving all the positive reinforcement which is finally helping push us that much closer to fully trained. I'm not sure what exactly triggered all this except that we've had several poop-filled pull-up disasters lately that kind of sent me over the edge. I know the experts say not to make a big deal or shame kids about their toilet training (or lack thereof), but I have to admit I think a little shame went a long way. We also finally linked using Papa's iPad to using the potty and even watching TV after a particularly bad accident and since then it's been much easier to convince Elisa to at least sit on the toilet. She went to school all week long in her panties and only had one minor leakage issue on the way to the bathroom. At home I've kept asking her to use it, but when she declines, I let it go. So far, she's been coming to me when she has to go and today we made it out to the park and back with no issues. Carolina, on the other hand, had an explosive diaper while we were sitting in the sunshine at SGP. It was my first time changing a messy one there and it was no picnic. But at least I remembered back up pjs and so all was not lost. With Elisa, I think there is suddenly a pride in using the potty and we even sent Papa a photo text of her big poo the other night. "Mom, it's a carrot!" she exclaimed while peering over the turd floating at the back of the bowl. Sure kid. Whatever floats your boat.

No comments: