Friday, November 25, 2011

Gobble, gobble, gobble

Every Thanksgiving I'm reminded of all the things I have in my life to be grateful for: a wonderful husband and family, some pretty awesome friends and now two amazing daughters. Life is sweet. But it's also a lot of work which is why it was nice to join our friends Molly and Ronan at their place in Astoria for an evening of eating and relaxing while the kids entertained themselves. As usual, Molly's meal was fantastic and her pies always the highlight. The lady can cook. But more than just good food, going there has always felt like a home away from home. Theirs was the first apartment I ever stayed at in the city way back in October 2000 when Nacho and I made our first trip here together. It's a welcoming spot with good ambience and a unique character--just like the people who live there. We have photos of Elisa's first Thanksgiving in the same dining room so taking Carolina there was like a holiday tradition. She ate, slept and ate some more. Elisa and Jude get on so well together these days. Almost too well. I went back to check on them and found them climbing up on an old crib and jumping off onto a mattress on the floor. They were having a blast, but I found it easier not to watch. They kept at it for hours and no injuries! And Lochlan seemed perfectly content to watch the big kids play. It was total harmony while the rest of us noshed and talked. What a wonderful night...
The rest of the weekend was equally enjoyable if low key, and a definite highlight was the 60 degree weather. You can't beat sitting outdoors enjoying the sunshine with friends for Thanksgiving weekend. We managed to visit our park and take the girls out for a while before heading back to nap. It's the perfectly synced family nap that always recharges my day. I know we have fun all together, but it's sleeping that really binds us. Ahhhh, those sweet, sweet naps. I'm thankful for so much these days that sometimes my eyes tear up with gratitude. I know I am lucky or blessed or whatever you call it. I can feel it. Of course, some days there's still plenty to complain about and I can always find something I want to change. But really, deep down I know I have it pretty good. This family I've created brings me so much joy. And I get to be with them full time. These are the years I will remember when I'm back sitting at a desk, rushing to and fro in the city. These are the days to pause and give thanks and sit back and smile. What a rich life we have.

No comments: