Thursday, April 28, 2011

Crushes and other dangers...

My daughter has a crush. Bad. His name is Chris and he's the sweetest kid. The cousin of her friend Miles who patiently puts up with more 2 year olds than most 12 year olds have to deal with in a lifetime. Here they are at the SGP Easter Egg Hunt last weekend. Do you see how smitten she is??? Oy. Fortunately for Elisa, Chris is often at the park after school playing basketball or running around with his friends so she gets to spy on him several times a week. I knew we were getting serious when the other night as I put her in bed, she suddenly turned and said, "Mom, I saw Chris at the park today. He play basketball. He has blue shirt." I can just imagine the sweet dreams she had that night...
Between that and her serenading the entire waiting room at my OB/GYN's office yesterday with her awkwardly shrill rendition of Katy Perry's "Firework" (thanks to her earphones and my iPod), I'm in trouble. The woman next to me started laughing about half way through as she told me she just recognized the song Elisa was singing. And another mom half smiled and half grimaced as her slightly younger daughter circled near Elisa looking longingly at the iPod. "What is she singing?" she asked me. Uh...is this where I get judged? Hmmmm. It could be worse, I suppose. "Katy Perry. She's on all Katy, all the time lately," I said with a pleasant smile. She didn't really smile back, but was out of earshot before Elisa requested "Mom, I want Snoop Dogg" (aka "California Gurls") which prompted the other woman near me to laugh again and tell me she's a girl after her own heart. I don't know what's going on, but it feels like Elisa has grown 10 years in the past 2 months. This morning at breakfast, sitting across from Nacho, she starts a conversation with "so, Papa..." as if she were going to ask about her curfew that night. We just looked at each other and started laughing. Because if there's anything that I think will get me through these next few (okay, 16) years, it's humor. If I lose that, I'm really in trouble.

1 comment:

Christi said...

I am so glad you wrote this down.. this is a treasure. Now teach her "born this way!" Gaga is great for stares of judgement! Nothing like a two year old saying..don't be a drag just be a queen!