Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

What a beautiful day to be outside! After our SGP Easter Egg Hunt was postponed yesterday due to rain, I thought it might not happen today either with scattered thunderstorms in the forecast. But man, was I wrong. What a gorgeous sunny day with temperatures in the upper 70s. I don't think we've had a day this warm all spring, so it was a bit of a shock to be at the park sweating as we walked around in long sleeves. Elisa didn't seem to mind one bit, though, since the egg hunting was a novelty she clearly enjoyed. Her first few eggs were looked at and pitched in the bag without much notice until I showed her the candy inside. Then the pace slowed down as she wanted to eat everything she found. A few more eggs discovered and then it was off to enjoy the park with her friends...
I'm so glad we made the effort to go. At first, I wasn't sure she would even get into it, and thoughts of racing around tripping over other kids was something I just didn't want to be a part of. But since the park divided up the age groups, it was pretty well controlled and there was enough space and eggs that she had a few minutes to leisurely stroll and find some hidden treasures. I kept thinking as Easter approached that I might get her a basket this year or at least color some eggs. But truthfully, I think we're still a ways off from those traditions since at this point it would really be all me preparing the crafts and trying to get her to focus. Maybe next year. I sometimes think I'm just not a crafty momma, and that maybe she'll be deprived of these early memories. But then I think about how many more years we have to do all these things and to really see her face light up when she finds eggs stashed around our living room. That was always a fun way to wake up when I was a kid--trying to beat my sister with the higher egg (and later dollar) count. And oh yes, the chocolate and jelly beans. I still remember my Papa (aka Grandpa) teaching me to stuff jelly beans in my mouth during the "ahhh-mens" of the Easter church service. For now though, I can just enjoy the few bits of Easter happenings that Elisa can partake in and hopefully in another few years we'll bust out the baskets and crotcheted white ponchos of my youth. Dressing up with my sister and parading about in a new dress and sandals was always a highlight of this springy day. And so I hope with my girls, it will be the same. And I promise not to dress them alike. Okay, maybe coordinating outfits, but that's where I draw the line. And for sure, chocolate bunnies all around.

No comments: