Thursday, March 24, 2011

This one's a keeper

Yesterday was one of those rare days that I wouldn't mind doing all over again. So much of our day-to-day life is like a tedious Groundhog's Day: wake, play, lunch, nap, play, dinner, bath, and bed. Repeat. And it can be even more tedious when it rains or snows, or as in yesterday, does both...repeatedly. But fortunately, I had a doctor's appointment in the city that morning and just by the fact that we had to be somewhere at 9:00 a.m., I knew the day would be different. So why not go for it and make it completely different and new? Starting with a cab ride into Manhattan was a good option for fighting the freezing rain and making life a little easier for this pregnant mama. As a New Yorker for 6 years already, I must confess I never take cabs unless we're getting to/from the airport without a car. That's it. It just feels extravagant and I usually prefer schlepping it on public transport anyway, so this was a real treat and one that set the mood for the whole day--just me and Elisa doing fun things, foregoing the stroller and hoping for the best. We went to my OB/GYN checkup where she got fawned over by all the staff and doctor, and then it was time to grab a little mid-morning snack at a nearby Pain Quotidien.
Elisa was truly in perfect form after waltzing through the city with her Hello Kitty umbrella (not pictured here because she swiped mine eventually) so the pit stop to refuel and gulp down some coffee, fruit and pastries was well timed. We pulled up some chairs at the long communal table and Elisa snatched a menu and began reciting the alphabet in her playful way of telling me what was on it. It was just one of those moments when I found myself enjoying her companionship, her humor and yes, her love of coffee. We ordered a large latte, and she had her spoon in it before I could even add the sugar. She was almost absurdly delightful--the kind of child I would normally stare at and wonder "how do you get one of those??" And by meal's end, instead of springing up and refusing to sit in her chair any longer, she was doing exaggerated hugs and kissing my face. And I totally loved it. It was like she'd aged a decade overnight and I wanted to stay there forever. We walked to the bus, made it home by noon and the rest of the day was equally enjoyable, if laid back. Days like that are what make the other days tolerable, I suppose. It's what makes you want to keep trying and keep thinking of new ways to do things so you can see just what she's capable of. Yesterday Elisa didn't disappoint, and neither did I.