Thursday, January 14, 2010

A is for Art

One of the things I've been looking forward to lately is getting out and exploring more of the city with Elisa. Since Nacho had a string of days off this week, we managed to make it to the Guggenheim for Elisa's first art exhibit--a fantastic Kandinsky retrospective celebrating the 50th anniversary of the museum. I had only been in the museum one other time, maybe on our first visit to NYC back in 2000 and I don't even think we paid to go in. It was too pricey if I remember correctly. But this week was a real treat and since the inside spirals up and up on a sort of ramp, the stroller was an easy choice.
Elisa made a few friends as we waited to purchase our tickets and then we were off...
I tried in vain to get her to look up, but this is what she missed...
We took one little pit stop off to the side of the exhibit where we had a wonderful view of Central Park through floor to ceiling windows. For about 10 minutes, Elisa could wander around and stretch her legs without getting in anyone's way. We even pulled out some contraband snacks and ate a bit before continuing on. I love it when a well-planned day comes together! We finished the museum with a quick visit to the Guggenheim store, and I found a special Kandinsky print to commemorate our trip. As Nacho commented, it feels like we are able to incorporate Elisa into more of our activities without too much chaos or sacrifice.
It was supposed to be a warmer day, but it didn't feel like it with a windchill in the teens. By the time we made it over to 3rd Avenue for a bite of lunch, Elisa had fallen asleep. Of course, we were totally surprised by this so I had to take a picture. I guess all that art wore her out!
Sitting in the diner eating our meal in relative peace and quiet with no one grabbing our food and/or cutlery, I was amazed at how fun the day had been. If she acts like this more often, we might just keep it up.

No comments: