Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Field of Dreams

This summer we attempted a first for Elisa--organized sports--which in the case of t-ball offered at SGP for 6 weeks was really a loosely formed group with no real ambition. Let the kids get a feel for catching and throwing and hitting and see how it goes seemed to be the only overarching goal. Which was perfectly reasonable to me, lest it sounds like I'm knocking it.  And did I mention it was only $12 for the season, which included the fabulous t-shirt AND pizza party (which we forgot to even attend)? Yeah, it was worth it many times over...
The first couple of Sundays, Elisa wasn't thrilled to be out on the field, but she tolerated it for a good 15-20 minutes each time. Considering it was an hour-long session, I figured she was at least giving it a try so I was patient. And really, she showed some initiative and strength, especially throwing. Her few times at bat were all very successful and I think she felt proud after all our whooping and hollering. I was elated to see her out there doing something new and not complaining about it. The fight to get to the park (with shirt ON) was epic once or twice, but once there, she was a happy kid. And mostly, I wanted her to see that sometimes you need to be part of a team and to wait your turn and try again if you miss. She did all of that and more...
Towards the end of the season, she didn't want to play again and I let it be. I had seen enough to consider my investment well made.  Of course, I hope she'll find an activity that she loves in the future and one that she's willing to work hard on.  She had all of our support and I hope she knows that. I loved watching Carolina on the sidelines cheering and watching her every move.  It's the little stuff like this that make you realize your child is growing up--the way you tense up and hold your breath when they go to bat. And *POP* she hit a ground ball and took off running. Afterwards, Elisa turned to me and said, "Mom, did you see that?!" "Yes," I said beaming with pride. "Okay, then I'm done."  Good enough, kid. Good enough.

No comments: