Saturday, July 27, 2013

Summer Social Fiesta

Last Friday we celebrated the Sunnyside Gardens Park's Summer Social & Firefly Night amidst nearly 100 degree temps and lots of humidity. It wasn't the best night of the summer weatherwise, but the crowds still came out for the party.  After a few weeks of planning and lining things up, I was relieved. This year I've been assisting the park's board with event planning and volunteer recruitment for fun stuff like this. It's been such an eye opener to see what actually goes into making these events happen after years of just enjoying things without giving the workload a second thought.  And I have to say, I have the utmost respect for our park's President Lisa Jacobsen who has somehow juggled all of this with her job and family life.  It's easy to find excuses why you can't find the time to help or be part of the park's infrastructure, but once you are, you realize that none of this would happen without a few key people.  So I'm very happy to help in any way I can, and I really hope to continue doing so over the next few years as I go back to work and add a few more layers to my life.  The park largely runs on the volunteer efforts of its members, and it always amazes me how people show up the day of to help bring these special events to life. Despite the sweltering afternoon, we had a handful of people willing to help place tents, string up lights and decorations, and oversee the food stations as we got ready to get our fiesta on...

The inspiration for the evening's South of the Border theme came to me one night after helping organize the Out of School BBQ. I was envisioning a taco truck taking over the blacktop and then it all fell into place--we needed a margarita contest and a guacamole competition. The rest of the decorations and the decision to combine forces with Firefly Night just fell into place, even though we had to push things back a week which might have impacted how many bugs there were to chase. But all in all, it was a successful night from the numbers of people who turned out, and the fact that I barely saw my children as they flitted about on the field and wandering around (sometimes shoeless, poor Carolina) playing with friends and waving glow sticks into the night sky.  And having playgroup moms I know and trust (thanks Julie, Kristin and Tania!) help pull it off was another bonus. Ramon and his wife from the taco truck worked their asses off and seemed genuinely pleased with the hectic pace, admitting they didn't expect to sell so much. At the end of the night, after generously rewarding Nacho and I with a few freebies, he asked how much he owed us. Nada. Seriously, that was the highlight of the party, in my opinion, and it was great to see the park community enjoy a carefree night under the stars. As we closed up the park a little after 10 p.m., I was relieved to be out of the heat and ready to start replenishing lost fluids with water--instead of the sangria I'd been drinking all night long. Yes, the next morning was a bit of a headache, literally, but that's what happens when you're having fun sometimes--maybe too much fun, I'll admit. Now I'm looking forward to hosting a smaller affair at the park this coming weekend for my two girls' August birthdays.  It's as good as a backyard for us when you live piled high in the city, and that's why the park is like a second home. We're so glad to be a part of it.  

2 comments:

Maggie said...

And just where was MY invite for this little shindig???

Ann Price said...

Next year, Mag. I'll send you the evite!