Saturday, July 27, 2013

Groove is in the heart

July wouldn't be July if the birthday parties didn't start piling up around here. First there was Noah's, then Riley's and Bix's. This weekend we're gearing up for Skylar's and then our girls' shindig next Friday, followed by Birdie's on Saturday. Fortunately, we'll be heading out of town for a few weeks after that so we'll have a bit of a reprieve from all the summer birthday fun. But fun it is, especially when each party brings out different performers, beautiful cakes and good friends. Though as I'm finding out planning our first real party for both girls, all this birthday hoopla is a lot of work too! So kudos to Tania who made Noah's 1st birthday party a truly groovy affair with lots of kid crafts (making tambourines, photo booth props) and a great performer in Tanya True.  The kids were mesmerized by her singing and games, and I loved walking around the rock theatre taking it all in as I snapped away. It's not easy keeping these big kids entertained, but scarves and dancing were definite winners.  The party rocked on and I took the girls out to the pool for a little break in between songs. We were back in time for the cake which was an amazing creation from another mom in our playgroup, Kathy Sullivan. She's been chasing down her dream of making specialty cakes and confections lately and each one looks better than the last. This tie-dyed groovalicious cake for Noah's 1st was exactly what the party called for and I was happy there was enough left over for me to get my own slice.
Later as I spoke to Tanya after the show, we talked a little about my photography and I promised to forward her some of the photos from the party. It was clear she loves what she does, and we spoke just briefly about following your passion in life. And as I mumbled something about not being a "professional" photographer, I knew in my heart I was downplaying myself. I love taking pictures. It's in my blood and it is truly my passion in life. Yet, I still hesitate to call myself a photographer. I hesitate to build a life for myself doing this thing that I enjoy.  Why do I do that, I wondered.  Tanya seemed very keen on working with me to get some shots of herself on other gigs and my immediate reaction was "oh, I don't do that."  Saying yes would be too scary.  But something tells me I need to follow this fear. I need chase it down and see where it leads me. I know I'm not going to start my own studio or end up taking portraits for Vanity Fair.   But if I could share my joy of being part of the moment--of capturing the essence of an event or day or family outing--then I would find meaning in my work. And getting paid to do it would just be the icing on the cake. Isn't that what we're all seeking? Isn't that what I deserve?

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Do it! Around here folks charge about $300 for an hour and half session! People want to support their friends! You're great at this and there's lots of opportunity. This is totally you, Ann.