Thursday, September 4, 2008

Our first goodbyes


Well, as the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. Tomorrow morning Elisa's grandparents, Jean and Greg, will be heading back home to North Carolina. It's been almost three weeks with her grandma and 5 days with grandpa and yet there is never enough time to enjoy them...you just want it to last. Somehow, having my own daughter has transformed my understanding of my parents and of the relationships that mean the most to me.

Months ago when my mom asked about what I needed from her and how soon I wanted her to come here, I felt a bit confused and apprehensive. I had no idea what I wanted or expected of her during the birth and after, and it seemed like one more thing I had to worry about. As the time grew closer, though, I felt more anxious about getting her here before Elisa's arrival, but still unsure how exactly to predict that. Considering that mom was flying here the day my water happened to break, I guess things worked out the way they did for a reason. I definitely don't think I could have made it through labor, as difficult as it was, without her guidance and support. She validated all of my concerns and helped me communicate with the myriad of doctors and nurses when I couldn't make myself understood. She also helped Nacho through this whole process, and though we both know he has the mother-in-law voice block occasionally, I know he was as grateful as I was to have her here these first few trying weeks.

Now that Nacho's family is here and mine is leaving, I feel a sort of bittersweet emotion. There is so much to share with them and yet, I know my parents will be missing out on the next little changes in Elisa's life. I'm planning to visit North Carolina in early October to see my sister and my niece and nephew for the first time, and my Aunt Barbara who will be in town. Hopefully, mom and dad can last until then without their baby "fix." And if I'm lucky, I'll get through these next few weeks on my own without resorting to midnight phone calls to a sleepy grandma. Of course, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't mind.

No comments: