Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sneaky September

September started and with it Elisa's first full week of school. No more summer for her, but we didn't let that stop us from having a little more summer of our own. Tania asked if we would join her one day in the Rockaways and the following morning we were off to Astoria Pool for a refreshing dip on another hot day. Carolina didn't seem to mind keeping these secrets from her big sis, but really we didn't keep them for long. And luckily, Elisa wasn't the jealous type for a change. She seemed too preoccupied with all the newness of school and seeing her friends that she didn't dwell on our summery outings. So I rewarded her positivity with a last swim at the pool after school on Wednesday. And after a little prodding, she managed to swim again without holding her nose. She had a set back during Juliet's pool party that made her mad enough to swear off swimming with goggles and not her mask. So I was happy to see her try again and keep the water out of her mouth this time. In fact, we splashed and played and had a lot of fun considering it was nearing 6 p.m. and we really needed to get on home before Elisa's mood turned her back into a pumpkin. Also, I had a wine night out with Jessie and the ladies to belatedly celebrate her birthday, so I didn't want to show up with pool hair. Later in the week, we had a barbecue at SGP in which the Spaniards grilled sardines just before I left again for another night out to see Rob and his band play in the East Village. September has just begun and already I'm making the most of my newfound freedom. And that's maybe my own sneaky agenda for this month. I really want to get some of this back-to-school spirit and channel it into my own projects and goals. Hopefully, I'll feel that more as Carolina goes back next week.  First up the yard sale next weekend at the gardens which could be a nice little money maker if I can just dig my way out of some of these closets full of crap. In the meantime, we're still on summer birthday rotation around here which meant a Harry Potter themed birthday party for Hiro on Sunday. Elisa was a reluctant guest at the beginning but Carolina joined right in. And by the end, they were both having a great time making potions and playing the games that Micki and Harley so creatively envisioned and executed. So let the transition to school and fall and all things autumnal begin now...or when this 90 F degree heat cools off. 


No comments: