Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's Eve, Baby!

Out with the old and in with the new. Maybe that's why I love the excitement around New Year's Eve. By this time post-Christmas, I'm feeling a bit sluggish and maudlin, so it helps to have something to perk me up.  And yesterday was the perfect chance to clean up the apartment a little bit, invite friends over for an early New Year's celebration and spend the night really just happy to be with fun people on a cold night. I've never been one to go out on NYE and being a mom has made that much easier. Who wants to track down a babysitter for one expensive night anyway? So we ordered pizza, made giant chocolate chip cookies and stocked the fridge with plenty of Martinelli sparkling cider for the kids.  Even our quick trip out to get some junky NYE stuff at the dollar store was fun. We picked out plastic noise makers, colorful 2014 glasses and two confetti poppers. And boy did they POP! Well, at least mine did. And glittering confetti was up and all over the living room. I have to say it was beautifully festive if a bit of a mess to clean up. Our 7 p.m. toast coincided with the countdown in the Canary Islands, so Nacho, Carmen and company got to down their grapes as the clock struck midnight.  It all came together in a blurry mess of kids and screams and prosecco toasts.  But there you have it, New Year's Eve is supposed to be a bit of a blur anyway, right? Most of our guests headed out by 9 p.m. and we almost let the girls stay up to see the "real" ball drop, but by about 10:45 p.m., they were toast. So off to bed they went and that's when Nacho turned and asked me if we were going to make it til midnight. Of course! I was feeling up to the challenge and so we did. More than excitement, I felt ready to embrace the new year.  Even though 13 has always been lucky for me, I feel like 2014 has a nice ring to it. Looking forward to all it holds...

No comments: