Sunday, December 29, 2013

Chuck E Cheese

Before the year gets away from me, I have to post about making it to Chuck E Cheese during winter break. It's been on Elisa's birthday planning radar for a while now, and despite the fact that all suburban parents seem to hate the place, I have to admit it doesn't really bother me. Maybe because we live in such a big city with such population density and tiny apartments we call homes, that this place seems absolutely spacious and welcoming. Only once you've pushed a stroller through the narrow doors of an East Village eatery you used to love pre-kids only to be met with scowls from patrons and staff alike can you fully embrace all the glorious wonder that is Chuck E Cheese. So yeah, we went. And we roped in a few friends as well which made it even better. Birdie and Riley, Leonardo and Kieran and a few other siblings made it a complete party. And boy was I ever surprised to see how well Carolina handled herself. She was working her way up the enclosed stair thing and into the tunnels above my head before I could even figure out where she might come out once she realized she was stuck up there. But within minutes I could tell she would have no such freak out. She chased her bud Kieran around and later found Elisa and Birdie and somehow without any adult supervision found her way back down. I was on standby for most of our visit, but she didn't need me. It was liberating. Yes, Chuck E Cheese might not be the same everywhere, but for this mama and her Queens girls, we found a delightful haven in the wintery wonderland of New York City. Mission accomplished!

No comments: