Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day from afar

This year we're missing out on all of the fathers in our lives. Nacho is finishing his last week of training in St. Louis, and it's been a while since I saw my own dad in North Carolina. And our last visit with my brother-in-law was early April, so men are few and far between these days in our household. But it's true that there's something about the balancing power of the men we know, especially fathers, that helps keep all this estrogen in check. Not that I'm going to blame women for being overly emotional, sensitive creatures (not us!) but whenever I see Elisa rough housing with her Papa, I realize all over again that their relationship is just different. She has such a special way of relating to Nacho that is nothing like her bond with me. It's definitely more physical, but it's also about the way they interact and how special she feels with him. You can see it in her eyes when she is really happy he's home. And lately with all his time away, she's been pulling the "I want my Papa" card whenever I get after her about something. So you know she's getting wise to the idea of Papa as savior. Oh yes. And that's okay. For this girl, and maybe all little girls, I think the relationship with their father is so critical to how they navigate later male/female roles. I know for me, having a father that I could relate to intellectually and through humor made me feel like a full fledged adult well before I really was one. It has been a relationship made richer over the years with travel and stories we've shared and I am very thankful that my dad has had the chance to know Elisa. She may not love his mustache with its scratchy kisses, but I know she pays him special attention when we visit because he is a quiet presence she respects. And with Nacho, Elisa has all of the playfulness she adores wrapped up in one juggling, teasing human trampoline. The way she climbs over his lap and stands on his chest has me shouting at the both of them sometimes, but in truth, I wouldn't change a thing. They are the perfect pair and I love seeing their love for one another. Happy Father's Day to all the men I know, and especially those I'm missing today.

No comments: