Sunday, September 10, 2017

Celebrating September

September is right up there with favorite months in my book. School starts, summer blissfully ends and it means I get the kid-free, sweater/jeans weather I've been dreaming about. Or almost. A few more warm days won't go astray, but really I love fall so much I look for any excuse to get outside with cooler temps and enjoy the city. Since Nacho and I weren't able to go out for our actual anniversary on the 28th, I used a lunch date once school started as a good trade off. We went to Bunker the Vietnamese-inspired eatery in Ridgewood that I'd heard about from Fallon and a few others many years back but had never made it to. Now they serve lunch so getting there without kids for a nice meal was an option. Always happy to see some beautiful, inspiring street art as well and have added the artist to my Instagram roster of people to follow. And yes, the food was pretty good even if the vermicelli noodles were overdone. The meats were grilled nicely and the pho was banging. So you can't have it all...
Another day, another walk. This time we hit the west side and had lunch at Pepe Giallo's new location before taking the 34th Street/Hudson Yards 7 stop home
New 'dos at Melo Yelo were a big hit even if the trims weren't quite the transformations I expected
Post movie fooling around
Carolina learned to ride a bike in no time after a lazy summer
Nacho and I drove to Jackson Heights for a little lunch before a market run at Patel Brothers. Finally tried Maharaja Sweets and their lunch buffet thali was amazing. Next time I need to save room for more dessert--their gulab jamun was the best I've ever had
Elisa's eye exam finally happened and yes, she needs glasses. Girl is far sighted which means she'll need these lenses to see up close, and um, read. Doh! 
The second week of September also meant bus service finally started and with it a little bit of chaos. Fortunately, we parents know the drill and by a few minutes after 7:30am we had a whole group of kids on the run to our stop since the bus blew past them by mistake about 10 minutes earlier. Then we all stood and waited while wondering if the stupid thing was going to miss us too. But after about 25-30 minutes of delay, we saw our bus pulling up and the relief was real--parents happy to not have to drive and kids reluctantly excited to get to school by bus for the first time this year. So yes, September is in full swing and we are going to enjoy the hell out of it. More to come!

No comments: