Monday, June 5, 2017

Truth

Real estate and terror. Parenting and change. All of these themes have made an appearance of late, and sometimes it feels like life really is just brutish and short. What was it Beckett said? We give birth astride the grave. Sometimes it feels that way and I find myself looking for new ways to cope. In Sunnyside this week we lost a mom who was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago. She had recently turned 38. Two kids and a loving husband who I can't even bear to think about. It's so unfair and so terrible. And then there were the attacks in Manchester and London. More bombs in Iraq going off. Our own disaster of a president makes me cringe and worse every time he opens his mouth. We found out a few weeks ago that Nacho earned a promotion to captain which will come to fruition sometime in the next 11 months. The opportunity was there but we were starting to think he would miss the cut off by his relatively low seniority. But surprise! He made it. Something good to cheer for a minute. The idea has our heads pinging with new thoughts, new promises of the future and our chance to build a world we want our kids to live in--whether that means here in Queens or elsewhere. Seattle looks like it has receded since this upgrade will be based in NYC. And so my housing stock emails are now from places like Redding & Weston, CT or Montclair & Maplewood, NJ. We don't know what we want to happen quite yet, but we know life will change. That's the only guarantee. And so the optimist in me looks forward to what I can control and be excited about. The pessimist worries about all I cannot contain. We'll see where we end up. I'm sure I'll blog about it.

No comments: