Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day Weekend Recharge

If Friday and Saturday were all go, go, go then Sunday and Monday would have to be at a different speed for me to not completely fall apart. Memorial Day has that way of ushering in summertime and it makes you want to sit with friends around a table full of good food and sip a beer and just enjoy the moment. I mean a whole holiday devoted to honoring war dead isn't supposed to be joyous, but at least it can honor the living too, right? And so that's just what we did. I woke up Sunday to clean the house a bit and bake up a strawberry summer cake for a low-key last minute bbq we were invited to at Julie and Jesse's house. The girls were thrilled to get to see their sister twinsies, Maya and Kira, and I knew we'd have a good spread with everyone bringing something. Dawn's festive red, white and blue trifle didn't disappoint and the Costco salsa I bought was a stunning success. Yes, this was going to be an easy night except for Nacho going off to work. It's been the same the past two years with him flying over the long weekend and this year marked our second outing to see the Mets on Memorial Day itself. The tickets were 4 for $30 which was impossible to pass up so I rounded up the troops and away we went!
And honestly, moving all of our Sunnyside gang to another section so we could sit together was a brilliant plan. Then I took off to get some real food and the guys hung back to watch the kids who were mostly behaving. Elisa was acting a little giggly with Bix--a first--but she didn't appreciate me acknowledging it. Ha. She's in for a rude awakening come puberty! I'm here to make sure she doesn't act a fool, so yes, I will be subtly calling her on that stuff. And yesterday was just the tip of the ice berg, I'm sure. 

No comments: