Wednesday, May 24, 2017

May Wrap Up

Oh May. Oh my. This month is swerving dangerously into the final curve and I don't know whether to brake or just throw up my hands and scream WEEEeeeeeeeeee! I have been on such a dead run with all the last minute errands for the upcoming Memorial Day Fair at the park that it was nice to take a day to myself recently and get a hair cut (for FREE!) at Arrojo in SoHo. My usual stylist Jessica needed someone to model a razor bob and I was more than happy to sit in her chair for a little longer if it meant I could save some cash. After that, I wandered through Washington Square Park and enjoyed a little bite at Daily Provisions near Union Square. Then it was back to the grind with more errands and laundry and birthdays! 
Kinda cracked me up that I didn't see Carolina's face at first
Dawn's birthday gave us a reason to come out for a little Friday night bbq fun
Jasper turned 6 and we celebrated with cake and a beautiful park afternoon
Lunch in Red Hook ended up being lobster, though we went for BBQ. Next time! 
And truly if I hadn't been in a tizzy trying to wrap things up for the park, I might have spent more time worrying about how fast life was moving ahead. In the midst of all this chaos, Nacho texted me the results of the AE that was just published at Delta. Basically, that's the advanced entitlement which means it offers new positions and aircraft slots to those who bid for it. We spent much of the spring discussing his options and whether or not he would put in for a captain slot and if so, where and what plane. In the end, the chance for promotion and the staggering raise that comes with it was too much to pass up, and he bid for it. The process closed and by then he could see how many others had done the same and what their seniority was. He was pretty sure there was no chance he'd make captain and so I started to move on from that scenario. And of course, that's just when I suppose you should know something is up. We had been chatting at Carolina's field day about when to expect the results and then not two hours later, he texted me that he made Captain on the Airbus 320 in NYC. It was an announcement full of potential and some serious excitement. What??! What does this mean for us and when would it all happen? I have to admit it was almost as stunning as the message I got from him about Delta calling him for the interview. I was standing at Costco trying to blink and reread the text. It felt like life was all about to change, and for the better. And that's a good feeling. I took him for a celebratory pint at the Lowery when I got back from my park shopping.  It was all starting to sink in and we couldn't help but see the possibilities of where we might end up in the next few years with that salary.  So yes, we're holding on for now, but we're pretty pumped. And I say we, because this job is a partnership. He couldn't do this alone and I think he knows that now more than ever. We are facing these changes and these opportunities together and the idea that he could upgrade in three years at this job is pretty amazing. No one deserves it more. And I think he's starting to believe that. So yeah, May has been a real humdinger. Now to survive the rest of it!

No comments: