Wednesday, July 6, 2016

July Heats Up

Oh my, summer is definitely here. We made it out to one of Raleigh's parks to enjoy a little fun with the girls before Nacho had to head home and boy, was it a cooker. Pullen Park is one of the nation's oldest continuously running amusement parks, and though it really doesn't have much but a carousel, a train and few little rides, it was a nice place to hang out for a bit. It helped that the carousel at least was air conditioned. Afterwards, we hit a taqueria with damn fine Mexican cuisine where Elisa was strangely irritated by the counter lady calling out pick up orders in Spanish. Later we enjoyed a few sparklers after dark and another night of board games. Typical family fare when we visit. The next few days were a blur of shopping and eating and yes, more sparklers...Nacho had to take off before the 4th to fly to London, but we managed to pack up and head back around 2pm on the 5th as planned. I have to say this time around the travel was really pretty easy and I felt like we got lucky with the weather. It might have been hot and humid, but we dodged the big storms for the most part. New York was a welcome sight and Nacho landed that afternoon so he even managed to collect us from Laguardia. Not bad for a welcome home. 
What happened next is that I received an email at 3:00 pm from the director of our summer camp that it was going to be postponed until Monday. Say what? We had just flown back from NC, cutting out a trip to the beach and mom and dad's precisely so the girls could attend said camp. I needed the kid-free time to continue photo editing work that was waiting for me, as well as complete a gig I had already scheduled. This momma was not a happy camper. There was no real reason given, no indication if a price break would be forth coming. I hoped that we'd figure it out. But since the the first day of camp was our only day with Nacho home that week, we opted to head out to the Rockaways for a family beach day. And I have to admit that wasn't a terrible way to spend the extra day. My work waited--again--and the girls frolicked in the shallow surf while Nacho and I sat talking and planning the rest of the summer. It was good to catch up. I think a lot has been circling over my head lately, and at times I've felt adrift. Ready to pack it up and head out. So hearing that we might have some real options to do that later this month was like music to my ears. We'll see how things play out, but for now we're hoping to get to Spain and back before mid-August. I'm already dreaming of that pool to cool us off. 


No comments: