Thursday, July 30, 2015

Rock This Party

This year I was asked to photograph Elisa's dance recital for Sunnyside Ballet Studio and I couldn't have been more honored.  I really enjoyed the show last year (our first) and was amazed by the talent on display. So it was with lots of eagerness and only a little trepidation that I set out to capture this year's event for not only my own amusement, but for other parents to look upon with awe.  Being able to photograph both the dress rehearsal and the actual show was great, but I found that the dancers really amped it up for the real thing. The photos from the performance were just so much richer. Their faces were alive and the movements sharper. Choosing favorite photos was harder than I thought it would be because there were so many keepers!  So yeah, it took me almost a month to finish the photos from the recital, but it was all worth it. I love what I was able to capture. 
And even better, I love that my girl Elisa was happy to be up there strutting her stuff in the hip hop number. She didn't want to do tap again this year and I didn't fight it. Ms. Arleigh taught hip hop as well so Elisa was able to continue to build that relationship with her teacher which was helpful.  She was also paired up again with Bea which I know she loves.  She found her groove and it was easy to see that big grin from the audience. I think that's one thing I'm proud of, that she does it with enthusiasm and knows how to get up there and put on a show. That's a big part of what I loved as a dancer and it warms my heart to see that same feeling coming out of her. We are so different, but we share this. And I love that. So well done, Elisa. You really rocked that party!

No comments: