Sunday, July 5, 2015

Firecrackers and all that


The fourth of July this year was pretty laid back and chill. Not only did I wrangle a few last minute picnic tables at the park, but we pulled together a little impromptu birthday celebration for Oliver since Jessie got surprised by her third boy and delivered early. It was a very low key kind of day, and the girls were happy to hit Old Navy for flip flops--and the requisite summer hats--before making our way over to Stop and Shop for some goodies for the park. Elisa even insisted that I buy her jean shorts which are something she has never worn. But she tried them on and liked them, so I was open to it. Who knew?  We had quite a few friends show up and the atmosphere was so nice and calm. The kids played, we ate, then later joined in for some games on the field lead by Chad. Elisa's new boy became quite interested in her that day and it was all the talk at our table. She was clearly flirting and enjoying the attention. And I'd say he was too. It was heartwarming to see all this happening in earnest with someone I have never really met before. I've seen them talking and hanging out a few times at the park but nothing like today. It was really sweet and wonderful, and I think this will be the year that I remember how my little firecracker lit her own spark. Seeing some real live fireworks from our roof was of course the real show stopper. A few friends joined us just after 9 p.m. as the festivities kicked off, and the kids enjoyed each other's company as much as the bursts of light high above. I found time to capture a few photographic gems and then it was all over. Another year of lights dazzling us as we think of all it means to be free and alive in this country. I don't get patriotic often but having such an eclectic blend of friends who all call NYC home makes me realize we all came here for something. And what better way to honor that then to stand shoulder to shoulder and watch the magnificent skyline light up. 'merica, baby!

No comments: