Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fall foliage drive

Another autumn, another drive through Connecticut. I may sound like a boring old lady, but this is one of the highlights of the fall for me.  Something about the stark contrast to the city makes all the colorful leaves and quiet trails so appealing.  Don't get me wrong, I love where we live.  But being able to throw the kids in the car and zoom out of the city and up into this lush foliage in a couple of hours makes me so happy.  Maybe it's returning to my midwestern roots, but I yearn for this kind of day all autumn long.  As a kid, playing out side in the neighborhood was routinely supplemented with long walks in the woods to cut firewood with my dad or playing at a friend's house that had a small creek in her backyard. There's something very calming about this kind of communing with nature even when you add kids into the mix. I think both Elisa and Carolina found the change of scenery exciting and after spending an hour and a half in the car, they were bursting to get out...
Which isn't to say it was all peaceful all the time. Carolina had a few dicey moments when she wouldn't give in to sleep. She fought so hard against that first nap that by the time it did happen as we walked along the trail at Lovers Leap, we knew it wouldn't be a long one. About 15 minutes worth of shuteye was all she got before we loaded back into the car and headed for lunch. Of course she didn't stay asleep when we took her out of the Ergo.  Why is it my kids can't stay asleep when transferred to a moving vehicle?  Carolina seems to be even worse about this than Elisa was which means napping on the go is not our strong suit.  But luckily, she woke up fairly happy and seemed fine throughout lunch.  Our favorite spot Cookhouse in New Milford was as tasty as ever and we enjoyed a nice barbecue sampler before hitting Route 7 again. Elisa ate well and pointed out the exact booth where we'd eaten last year with Nacho's family.  She even told me how she'd taken pictures of them down there and I think I remember her playing with her camera that day.  Little things like this remind me that she is a real little person with her own memories and that trips like this do matter. It's part of our family history together and I really love that about traveling together. I hope this trip continues to be a tradition as the years tick by. It's definitely one I could do again and again.

After lunch, Elisa promptly fell asleep in the back seat, and I had high hopes that Carolina might conk out too so we kept driving up past Kent Falls, our next stop, for a bit. The road was windy and perfect for a nice leisurely drive.  Living in the city, I so rarely get to drive so it was with some pleasure that I steered us up the road for a bit enjoying each and every turn in that beautiful countryside.  We drove about another half hour and stopped to get gas before turning around.  Even though Carolina wouldn't give in to the nap, she managed to be sedate for our little hike up the falls.  And Elisa woke up with renewed vigor and happily climbed the steps all the way to the top. We snapped a few pics and hiked a little more only to see Carolina's eyes finally shut. Nacho lugged her around on his back all the way up and back down while Elisa and I goofed off on the wide expanse of lawn, rolling in the grass and taking turns hopping over each other. It was a playful, fun end to the day and Elisa couldn't have been in a better mood. In fact, the whole day with her was really enjoyable and I told her so. I hope this is a small sign of our future with her because on days like that, I realize how far we've come. She was happy and pliable and kept the mood in the car fun with her letters game.  Even after stopping in Kent, CT for a coffee and some cider and chocolates, we managed to hit the road home by about 5:30 p.m. which I was really hoping gave us some advantage. But after just an hour and a half in the car, we hit the traffic outside New York City and the next hour was a crawl.  Finally, around 8 p.m. Carolina couldn't take anymore and gave up her faint crying for slumber. I was pleased, but only because I could see the toll bridge by that point and knew the end was in sight.  Like they always do, our road trip ended on a tired, low note of just wanting to get home and stretch our legs. And finally, we were there and the girls went right to bed.  It was the kind of easy bedtime that I wasn't fully expecting. But when we didn't wake til 7:20 a.m. the next morning, I thought wow, we're kind of maturing as a family.  And I keep trying to picture how next year's trip will go. I think maybe there will be less carrying and crying and more walking together.  I hope.    

No comments: