Sunday, July 3, 2011

The countdown continues...

Three years ago this week, I started this blog to keep myself busy as the countdown to Elisa's arrival began in earnest. She was due around the 21st of August and I was giddy with anticipation of meeting the little alien kicking machine inside my belly. I had some idea that it was the calm before the storm, but in reality, it was hard to envision how much life would change. As I pondered it all, I was just feeling more and more ready for the experience, to get on with things, and to know this little girl. Funny how much has happened between then and now and how similar the feelings are this time around. As July begins and I face the prospect of only 4 more weeks with this baby tucked quietly inside me, I am all too eager to get her out--to have her in my arms and to introduce her to the family she will complete. The logical part of my brain knows she is much more portable right now, hardly making any demands on me. Why the rush?? And it's this guiding force that I've been calling upon as I try to hobble around the city for a few more weeks with just one child to complicate life.
Eating a mega-delicious pizza at Lombardi's on Spring Street...
Elisa clearly hamming it up for the camera at said pizzeria
Espresso gelato (her request after I chose strawberry) afterwards in Little Italy...
Taking a break at the American Museum of Natural History's Hall of Ocean Life
Dinosaurs all around us!
Elisa taking the sign "Touch this fossil" a bit too literally
Playing in the sprinklers post-museum on a hot summer day...
If you need a little sugary rush after all that, Magnolia Bakery on the UWS does the trick.
Who doesn't love a fourth of July cupcake??

The truth is, I feel just about as swollen, tired and uncomfortable at the end of the day if I sit on my butt at home as I do when I go into the city for a little adventure. And the adventures are way more fun and distracting, even when it involves a few meltdowns along the way. Because hey, we're still having plenty of those at home too. So why not aim for the great moments--like Elisa sitting through an entire 45 minute IMAX movie with me) or having a cupcake and iced coffee break together--and deal with the fall out as it happens? Her slap happy rendition of "Teenage Dream" on the 7 train back home was worth all of that just for the fun of watching her slide into exhaustion with Katy Perry on the brain. I keep thinking to myself that having a new baby in the mix will be one more audience member for Elisa's antics, and I suppose that can't be too bad. But it will likely mean a slow down in all our running around these next few months. So maybe that's why I'm trying to cram it all in during these last few weeks of relative freedom. Feels like it's a lot, but something has to tide us over til the haze of newborn mania recedes and we can jump back into life. Life with two.

No comments: