Saturday, August 18, 2018

Unicorn Birthday Party

This year was a doozy. TEN. How has a decade passed since this girl came into our world? Elisa celebrated her birthday yesterday in the city and it felt like we were finally at the age where she'll really remember this one. So why not pull out all the stops? I still remember my tenth celebration at Chi-Chi's with the accompanying sombrero and Mexican fried ice cream. I felt like I was on top of the world.  So when it came to Elisa's combined party with Carolina at the park, I wanted to take the unicorn theme they agreed on to the next level. Enter the Unicorn Cake. Elisa really wanted to make this for the big day and I was intrigued by the challenge. I snuck out to Michael's to pick up all the necessary tools and ingredients and then the hard part--actually finding the courage to start. But we decided to begin work on a night that Carolina had a sleepover. That allowed Elisa and I to start baking the layers and test out the right cake mixes. Yes, I'm a wuss. I used boxed cake mix. But it worked so well with my little tweeks that I have to admit I impressed even my worst critic--me! 
Who knew I could turn this amazing thing out? I mean, c'mon, not bad for a first real effort at tiered cake baking. Elisa and I watched the video tutorial about 100 times and it seemed SO EASY. True story: it was not. But we managed. I only lost my cool once and that was alone trying to frost this motherf'er. The best thing I did was not trust myself to do it under a time crunch, so I gave it all about 3 days and that was perfect. It was ready to go by Friday night and all I had to do was not drop it on the way to the park. And I didn't. Yay me! The girls were so impressed that we pulled it off. It was just like an episode of their favorite baking show "Nailed It." I love that we did this together and that we were able to execute their idea. It wasn't the best looking frosting job, but it was ours. And it tasted so damn good. 
Everything about this year's party felt more under control. Like maybe I'd actually learned a thing or two after all these years of throwing birthday bashes. I had enough time to set up. The candy and decorations were fun and not overkill. The music was a perfect backdrop and the assorted pizzas from Marabella kept everyone happy.  We had unicorn poop marshmallows and slime in the goodie bags and no kid was happier than baby Lane who managed to spend most of the celebration in a box near the coolers. Ha. Elisa's prized possession couldn't hold a candle to the fun she had running around the park with her friends. And Carolina too. The girls both managed to have a good time and at the end of the day, I think this was our best effort yet. Happy birthday to my August unicorn princess lovelies. I love you so very much, XOXO, Mom

1 comment:

shreeram01 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.