Monday, January 15, 2018

Ski Weekend

Well, we did it. We managed to plan and execute a skiing weekend with the girls. It was our first time back on the slopes in nearly 17 years and I have to say there was more than a little trepidation going into it. Nacho has been eager to return to the sport since his ACL-tearing days on the soccer field ended. But I've been more reluctant, especially given how little I enjoyed skiing in the first place. When Nacho and I first ventured out to Colorado to ski back in our early dating life, I tried--I really did. I wanted to impress him or at least not kill myself and I was mostly successful. There were even a few moments of skiing in fresh powder on Copper Mountain where I found myself charmed. So this was what everyone talked about. But with no health insurance at that time and hardly a sporty gal, I was happy to let that hobby go. Over the years we talked about going again and just never did. Then he destroyed his ACL and I assumed his skiing days were over. But Nacho is not one to give up trying. And so after all this time his desire to ski again was still burning away. When we realized he had the entire MLK weekend off this year, I thought it might be fun to plan a little getaway to introduce the girls to skiing. Initially I crowd sourced ideas for a trip to Vermont, but as the opinions poured in, I revised that idea to include slopes much closer to home. Belleayre Mountain in the Catskills was a strong contender for best local place to try out the sport and we had just been there in the fall and knew the lay of the land. We booked a few nights back at the Starlite Motel in Big Indian, NY and that was that. We were going to ski again and the girls would take lessons for two days. It was time. I almost felt ready.
Snapchatting with C and looking like Linda Richman

No comments: