Saturday, January 20, 2018

Opening Up

For Christmas this year, we decided to treat the girls to an experience rather than just a lot of stuff. Not that they didn't get lots of stuff too, but you know...we thought it might be fun to take them to Broadway for a show. It would be Carolina's first outing to the Great White Way and Elisa's second after her debut at "Annie" when she was 4. The idea really took shape after I found out Sara Bareilles was coming back as the lead in "Waitress" which Nacho and I saw the year before with Jesse Mueller. Elisa loves the music from the show and I thought it would be a real treat for her to see it performed, even if the themes are a bit mature. Nacho teamed up to take Carolina to "SpongeBob Squarepants" which was definitely up his alley and that was that. The girls were picked up from school early on a Wednesday and we were off in the light snow to enjoy a wintery day in Times Square!
The rest of the week was about shows of another kind--school concerts! The kids did a great job and I will say I'm getting better about relaxing around the asshole parents with their cell phone videos. It took me awhile but I realized I don't need video of every performance. Besides it was too hard to even see where Elisa was in the massive amount of kids on the floor up front. Carolina got in on the action too offering up a joke at the intermission. "Why did the sheep get a ticket? Because he's a baaaaaad driver." I love that kid and her wacky sense of humor. 
My winter cleaning took shape this week with a total revamp of the living room starting with a mop job and new carpet from Target. The beautiful new colors really brought the room to life and now my goal is to convince Nacho we need that new couch. Our current one has been with us since 2005 and it's got more bodily fluids soaked in than I care to admit (talking babies here, folks). But even with just the new carpet, I'm a bit happier. So much is in flux with our life right now that I think it's good to sometimes just appreciate where we are. The rug is helping me do that. So it's worth every penny.

No comments: