Monday, June 23, 2014

My little dancer

Just before Elisa's dance recital, I decided to take some nice photos of her in her costume. We'd promised not to wear it constantly before the big day, and in fact, this was the first time she'd put it on at home since receiving it a few weeks before. And still, I had to convince her it was okay. But once on, she really got into the spirit of the photos and was striking poses left and right. I couldn't get her to do much of the dance for me, but she had no trouble voguing her way through the session. It also helped that our friend Ella had just been over to do some ballet portraits with me and Elisa had watched her with stealthy admiration. Afterwards, I told Elisa I was very impressed with her poise. She really knows how to shine when she wants to. 

And that seems to be the key. Like every kid her age, stubborness is a requirement. If they aren't in the mood, don't even bother. But when Elisa commits to something, she goes all the way. And her eyes sparkle. She has the charisma I wish I had more of as a kid. It's kind of contagious. During the recital itself, she was a mix of nervous anticipation and calm aloofness. I couldn't get her to listen to me about hitting the bathroom before the big show and she wandered the hall alone as if she owned the place. And then I remembered how I felt all decked out and pacing the halls of the Music Hall in Kansas City before my yearly recitals. It was a way for me to discover myself and feel like I was in a big time show. I remember looking at all the Art Deco architectural frills and feeling like I belonged in another time. There was so much glamour all around me. I absolutely loved it. This theatre wasn't nearly as beautiful, but it was perfect for Elisa's first performance--just grand enough and not overwhelming. I was impressed with how well she took to the stage. The girl can move. Now the only question remaining is whether or not she'll continue with tap or branch out into ballet and jazz. She hasn't decided yet, but I'm hopeful we'll be back at it again come September. I think this kid can go far...as far as she wants. 

No comments: