Sunday, July 13, 2008

Timing is everything

Now that we're in the homestretch, so to speak, lots of small considerations have become BIG issues. Things like finally taking our childbirth preparation class (next weekend--yay!), making space in our bedroom for all the baby stuff, and planning our leaves of absence from work (yes, Nacho is joining me in that department--if only for a month). But while I might be most concerned with when to have my mom fly up before the baby is born or making sure that we actually have her clothes laundered beforehand, Nacho has a more pressing concern--making sure this baby arrives before the U.S. Open begins.

On Friday he bought tickets for his family to go and watch the men's quarterfinals on September 4th, which has him almost as excited as Spain winning the Euro Cup two weeks ago. Since his mom, Pauli, Ignacio, Kiki and Amaia are all flying over on September 3rd, we've actually been almost as excited planning their trip as we have been thinking about the upcoming birth. This will be their first visit to see us in NYC (except for Amaia who has made it over twice already), so we're looking forward to seeing them again and getting to spend time with them on our turf. And while I wouldn't begrudge Nacho getting to go to the U.S. Open (afterall, I went last year with Protima to watch Federer beat Rodick), I can't help but think that if it came down to me being a week and a half overdue and in labor vs. getting to watch Rafa or Roger...well, let's just say that's a choice I don't want to force. Not sure I'd come out victorious.

1 comment:

Tia Stacey said...

You might get to meet Rafa if you go into labor whilst he is playing.....that could be the upside of going to the U.S. Open overdue!!! I am always looking for a silver lining!