Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Keeping track

This year since we made our trek to NC early in the month of March, I felt particularly far away for my dad's birthday. So digging out a few old photos and the locket I have from his mother, my Nana, was a good way to hold on to those attachments and celebrate his 69 years on the planet. He'd been a bit under the weather lately, so I'm hoping milder temps and some days resting will do him well and we can get down there to visit again soon enough. It won't happen 'til summer most likely, but I think we're ready for a long visit to their house. It's one of those things I remember clearly from childhood--playing and being bored to death at my grandparents' houses. There was always a stillness and a sense of being left alone to amuse myself that I think is sorely missing from most young lives these days. So who knows. Maybe I can recreate some of that with a visit to see my folks. If not, they will at least get some beach time, yard time and a chance to bike around the cul-de-sac. Not a bad way to pass a few days.  
This week I was also finding a reason to celebrate spring's arrival with a visit to Jackson Heights to have lunch with Jenny and Carmen. We met up at The Arepa Lady which has some pretty tasty offerings though I'm still partial to the ones from Caracas. Afterwards, I stopped by Patel Brothers grocery on 74th Street to see if I could snag some masala chai. The man working there who I badgered was very kind to point me in the right direction even if I prefer the pre-made tea bags to the regular tea and powdery spice mix he suggested. Later in the week I did a favor for a friend and took some head shots in the city, walking around in the rain that seemed to be a constant presence. But eventually the clouds lifted a bit and we were treated to a box of Voodoo Donuts from Nacho's most recent overnight in Portland. Yeah, he's pretty good at spoiling me when he wants to. 
And then by middle of the week, our lives took a bit of a turn for the worse. On Thursday we woke up to find out that Moxie, our favorite dogsit pooch, was missing. Long story short, she broke away from our building some time early Thursday morning and we had flyers up and were canvassing the neighborhood by that afternoon. Elisa was understandably worried and veered from hopeful optimism to absolute dejected certainty that she was dead. "She's probably already hit by a car, right?" she asked me with a look of resignation. Um, yeah. Who knows. I tried to keep things honest but vague. We really didn't know where Moxie was for a good few days, and I feel like we were really invested in her return. Fortunately, the story ends happily and we even got to dog sit her ourselves for a night which was like a total 180. Elisa and Carolina were so giddy at the idea of having Mox to themselves that a walk with Leonardo turned into a bit of a fight. But otherwise, we managed pretty well and I'd say we might just have softened Nacho up a tad bit. We will have a dog. Eventually. 
With April in full bloom it was time to check out some real blooms for a change at the Macy's Flower Show. Katie asked if I was interested in this tourist trap and I figured it would be worth a few pretty pictures, so why not? And I wasn't disappointed. 

No comments: