Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Fairytale Breakfast

Tuesday morning we were treated to a Kindergarten presentation of several fairytales acted and sung by the kids at Academy of the City Charter School.  Elisa's class managed to sing out the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff which was quite sweet and fun to watch.  Of course, my tall girl was back row, center in the proceedings.  Have I mentioned how much she's shot up lately? She's towering over her friends and eating me out of house and home which must be how she's filling those size 8 clothes. But anyway, back to the breakfast. We were invited to come and watch each class present their story and then we had a nice big spread of food (we made cupcakes at Elisa's request), followed by dancing and some posing around the scenery. It was a nice way to spend a spring morning, especially after our bumpy start to the week with Carolina's doctor visit in Manhattan where we learned she had a double ear infection and my urgent care visit where I was diagnosed with strep. Hurray for antibiotics! Woo! 
So yeah, it was fun to feel better and be able to take part in such a special day for the kids. Over the course of the year, I've really come to appreciate the effort the teachers put into their classrooms and special events. The kids were bursting with excitement to parade around in their costumes and perform for us. Elisa opted for her Snow White dress and "clickety clack" flamenco shoes which were a bit over-the-top for a 5 year old. But then, that's Elisa.  When I asked the kids to pose with Ms. Z after the show, they flung themselves at her. It was such a sweet gesture. They really love her and it shows. I know we've been lucky to have Elisa at a school we liked from the get-go, but seeing how much they do for the kids and how well the kids respond is such a treasure. I know there are a lot of parents waiting to see where their kids will end up next fall, and I wish I could bring them all onboard at AoC. It's hard to feel like you have hit academic gold and not be able to spread the wealth. But since the charter system is a lottery, it really was completely random that we got in. And yet, it's hard to imagine our lives this year without such a safe harbor. I know Elisa is thriving and I am grateful for the opportunity to see it firsthand. 

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Sounds like a neat event for the kids... But your sicknesses sound painful. Good for you for getting out of bed, I think I would want to hibernate all week.