Friday, January 17, 2014

Toddlers and tiaras

I swore when I started taking photography more seriously that I was going to keep things simple. Just me and a camera. Now a few months into it, I'm finding out that it's never that easy. Yes, being a photographer means I have a job with very few typical set ups: no office, no work wardrobe, no commute per se. But it doesn't exactly mean that I'm not finding lots of things to stock up on in the hopes that I'll use them for shoots. Case in point, in the past few weeks, I purchased lights and backdrops and started thinking more earnestly about how to shoot indoors. I want to get the kind of portraits I love seeing on Pinterest or other photographers' websites, and in order to do so, I need to dedicate some thought and practice to that. So one day this week, I grabbed some stuff and brought Carolina into the room and within minutes, she was striking a pose. Rapunzel dress and tiara included. Oy vey. What have I done? And before I could stop myself, I was editing and smiling and loving this little face underneath a silver plastic tiara. It might be terribly cliche with the pink paper and pastel haze, but it is lovely. And so is she.  What better combination than that?  Of course, hours later she was sliding into sickness and for the rest of the week, we've been recuperating slowly but surely. How deceptive looks can be. She seems the image of health and (momentary for a toddler) happiness. I guess you need pictures like this to remind you that it's possible for kids to be sweet and beautiful no matter what's really going on behind the scenes. I'll be playing more with these props and trying to get the girls together this weekend for a shoot. Yes, it's all about the (princess) bling. More to come!

No comments: