Thursday, October 17, 2013

By the river

Last Saturday I had one of my day trip inspirations to go some place that didn't feel like the city, but wasn't too far away. With nearly the whole world going apple picking these days and spending more time car-bound than enjoying nature, I didn't want to suffer the same fate. It had to be within the city, but somehow surrounded by trees. I wanted to get lost. I'd heard good things about Fort Tryon up at the northern tip of Manhattan, but I didn't know exactly what to expect. We arrived after a short detour through Queens (even traffic in our neighborhood was congested with the Queensboro Bridge partially closed) and found a nice spot to park near the playground. It wasn't exactly the wilds of New York City with a subway stop closer than our parking spot, but it would do. Getting the girls out and onto the jungle gym was a nice introduction to the place, and we also snagged free bike helmets thanks to the DOT's bicycle safety program. It was starting off on just the right notes, and I even managed to get Elisa up the huge hill overlooking the Hudson River without too much complaining.  Seeing her sister sitting pretty in the stroller usually annoys her and that day was no exception, but still, she managed to hang in there and walk. Once we snacked a little at the overlook, it was time to decide our next move. The Cloisters, the Met's outpost featuring some lovely medieval art, was located just at the summit of the park, and though I hadn't originally planned to visit, it was too close to pass up. 
And I'm glad we didn't cruise on by. Often with kids, I don't think museums are meant for us. I usually spend more time shushing them and keeping them moving without touching that it's exhausting. But this one wasn't so hard.  Yes, it's definitely a place of quiet, serene chambers with art that begs further reflection.  But because of the chapel-like structure of the buildings, I think it inspires a kind of calm even in the kids. They weren't running around shrieking and I even got Elisa to stop long enough to admire some of the tapestries and child and Madonna carvings. Though to be truthful, the one she liked the most featured the backside of a toddler Jesus. She was giggling enough that a few other couples caught on. Ah, yes, the joys of naked art. Well, we rewarded the girls' patience with a bit of lunch in the cafe before heading on to another park--this time Fort Washington down under the GW Bridge.

In my quick google searching I found out about the little red lighthouse situated there and the fact that it opens to the public on the second Saturday of the month from June-October. It so happened that we were going on the last Saturday it would be open for 2013, which in hindsight I should have realized would draw a crowd. I mean, this is New York City. But I was more hopeful. Only when we started on the 30 minute trek to see it, did we notice the throngs of people going there and back. Half way there, we spotted a NYFD boat practicing its water cannon maneuvers on the river which was really quite breathtaking and probably made the kids' day.  It's always the stuff you can't plan for, right?  Renewed, we kept on trudging.

As we rounded the final corner, I spied a small circus of activity--there were food trucks, tents and a small carnival with face painting and crafts. But I was singularly focused on the lighthouse since it was only open for another hour.  Getting closer I heard the park rangers giving out the bad news: no more tickets today. The lighthouse tours were all spoken for and we would have to watch from outside. But in truth, I was probably the only one in our family who was modestly disappointed. So I snapped a few pics of the gorgeous red pillar, Elisa got her photo op with her stuffed animal, and then we were ready to pack it in. After I posted a few pics online, a friend reminded me of the book inspired by this lighthouse called "The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge" by Hildegarde Swift and Lynd Ward which I'd read about during my planning. I checked it out at the library this week and it was a nice companion to our trip. Not exactly a day getting lost in the wilderness, but sometimes there's more fun in the city wilds after all. 

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Fun... I'm curious about that lighthouse now.

Ann Price said...

You would love the book, Maggie. It's a neat story about how we all have different strengths in life and we're all needed. Who knew a lighthouse book could be a tear jerker? Haha.