Saturday, August 11, 2012

Almost Four

Last week we celebrated Carolina's 1st birthday with a few presents and some cupcakes at the park. It was a perfectly understated celebration and gave me my first "1st birthday" party since Elisa's was on an airplane to Spain.  [It didn't take much to top that since we basically feted her with french fries from the McDonald's at JFK].  So with one party out of the way, thoughts turned to our other August birthday girl, and I kept debating how and where to have a little something for Elisa. Of course precedent is a bitch, and I knew after she requested streamers in our dining room doorways (à la last year's surprise birthday celebration) again this birthday, we were in for another present-opening blowout.  Forget that her birthday isn't until the 17th when we will be in Spain. We were going to have to do something here and somehow include a few friends for good measure. But no four year-old wants to see another one rip open gifts. So I went with my original plan which was have a morning where she could open a few things at home with us, and then an afternoon at the park where we could eat pizza with friends, hear "Happy Birthday," blow out a candle and call it a day. Now I can officially say: Done and done. 
So that is how we started the nearly four celebrations. She asked several times "Am I four now?" to which I kept saying, "Well, no, not yet. But soon."  How confusing for kid her age.  For as long as I can remember my family always celebrated my birthday on the day.  It was pretty standard to have a dinner out and then open gifts at home and eat cake with family.  But then I think she likes the multiple days of presents so I'm not too worried about her psyche.  I'm sure we'll also have a little gathering of family in Encinar when we can celebrate her cousin Diego (August 16th) and her second cousin Amaia (the 21st).  It's a birthday kind of month for our family here and in Spain and maybe that's how we should approach it every year. Just plan to celebrate from the 2nd on and we won't stop until our wedding anniversary on the 28th. It's turning out to be better than Christmas!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Happy birthday, Elisa!

If it's any comfort, June is equally confused about when her actual birthday is, at nearly 3 years old, after watching Waylon and Georgia get celebrated earlier this week, and then having the three-child birthday party today, and knowing that her birthday is next up - but not quite understanding that the real day isn't until next Saturday.