Tuesday, June 5, 2012

West Coast Livin'

Yesterday we flew out to California for the beginning of a two week vacation visiting my sister and her family in Twentynine Palms.  The closest direct flight was into LAX which is almost 3 hours from their home so we aimed for the noon flight out of JFK and amazingly made it on.  This after the check-in agent grimaced as she told us it was oversold by 1 seat and we were number 34 on the standby list. Not good odds.  But then we made it with four seats of our own, no less.  It just goes to show you that with standby you always have to wait and see. I know it sounds crazy, but all the adrenaline to get to the airport with two kids and too many bags when you are traveling this way gets you through the nerves, and most of the time it's worth it.  Elisa was acting like a traveling pro for the first few hours and except for slicing into Carolina's pinky as I lowered the suitcase handle, things were off to a good start.  [Bleeding, screaming babies are so much more fun to travel with!]  

So off we flew and for the most part, the flight was tolerable.  We at least got sandwiches and ice cream and there was another 4 year old seated nearby who entertained Elisa for a good couple of hours. However, we were crammed into the very last row on the plane which means the seats didn't recline so the car seat was upright at a bad angle for Carolina to rest, and the lady in front of her was pushed back almost into her lap.  It didn't help matters that she was also extremely constipated and kept throwing up on herself each time she tried to poop.  So my plan to feed her all the way to California was steadily backfiring on me.  She ate and drank and then upchucked--so many times I stopped counting and I had no more clean clothes for her.  Oh well.  Somehow I tried to stay zen about it all--it would be over soon.  Nothing is permanent.  And then after a terrifically crazy outburst from Elisa which would have earned us a spot back in the terminal had it happened earlier, it was time to land.  Ta-da! Welcome to LA!  Stacey was there right on schedule and we loaded into her car while Nacho turned around and headed back to NYC on the next flight. Yeah, he's nuts. But having his help on the way out was critical.  Any delusion I had that I could have done this myself was out the window.  Having two of them means needing two of us--at least for now.  Unfortunately, Nacho has to work the next few days and so he won't be joining us again until Sunday, June 10th.

On the way to Stacey's house, we stopped at In-N-Out Burger just so I could decide if the first time there on our last trip was a fluke. I didn't really love my burger that time so I was hoping to see if this one, at a location outside of LA might prove better.  But it did not. So disappointing, but hey, at least Carolina used the opportunity to unload her way overdue poop.  And again the chain gets zero points for not having a changing table in the women's restroom.  Even my chocolate shake was just so-so which pretty much seals the deal on never having to return.  The rest of the drive was uneventful and Carolina was a much happier baby.  We made it in and threw both girls in bed just after enough play time to satisfy their curiosity.  Stacey's home is warm and inviting and thankfully spacious, which makes settling in easy.  And now my goal over the next couple of days is just to have some low key fun and get the girls on Cali time.  Carolina cried out multiple times between 1 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. last night after that long day, and I had to give her a bottle to calm her back down.  But after that she stayed down til 7 a.m.!  I woke up elated and restfully groggy. Would it be too much to expect the same tomorrow?  Don't worry I know the answer.

2 comments:

Maggie said...

Awesome, the trip ahead, that is. Traveling with two is just ridiculous at this stage. Good thing you had help out there! Enjoy the grapefruit:-)

Ann Price said...

Maggie, when are you going to travel with one and bring Anna out to see us?? I'm totally waiting on traveling by myself for a while. I think this trip confirmed it. But soon...life is going to get so much easier, right? Right??