Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Goodhearts and Oddfellows

I have to admit that we've been very lucky so far in 7 years of birthday parties for kids. Most of the time, we actually enjoy hanging out with the families hosting and it feels like a social outing for us as much for the girls. So when I got an email from my college friend Jill's younger sister Kendal about joining them for her son's first birthday party in Williamsburg, I was excited. Kendal and her husband Brian welcomed baby Atticus last summer and I hadn't seen them since the fall when we did a photo session in Central Park near their place on the Upper West Side. Then I found out that Jill and her family would be flying in from KC for the special weekend, as well as their other sister Gretchen and her family, and both sets of grandparents, well, I was stoked. It was a Goodheart family reunion and I was not only invited but asked to do photos. I love being part of events like this because it's really what I enjoy capturing the most. I want to give families those pieces of their time together in a way they've never seen before. And having all these people I really like together was just the best thing I could ask for as a photographer/guest. I didn't have to worry about not being motivated to keep searching, keep looking for good opportunities. When you love the people you are working with, the opportunities find you. I said before the get together that I really wanted to get a shot of the three Goodheart girls together to update their last portrait many years back. We found a second to grab it and I'm so glad we did. The backdrop to all this fun was Oddfellows Ice Cream Co. which has a great little vibe going for ice cream connoisseurs like the Tortajada girls. Yes, with flavors like raspberry peppercorn and miso cherry, there was no chance to play it safe. I tried the smoky deliciousness of s'mores mixed with a creamy carrot cake that couldn't have tasted better together. My only complaint was I couldn't eat and hold the camera up at the same time. 
By the time the party was winding down, we knew these girls needed a little break from the sugary action and opted to run them around the East River State Park for a bit in the heat of the day. Oof. It was hot. Jill and Dave joined us for a brief bit with Miles and Graeme before heading off to enjoy the rest of their whirlwind weekend. Then we took the girls over to the playground where water was flowing freely. How could you resist a little splashing around? Even if we didn't change into swimsuits? I mean, getting soaking wet in your clothes is okay sometimes too. After that, we were heading back to Queens to hang out and cool off in the A/C. We didn't realize it until today that we actually left Carolina's newish Skechers in the park that afternoon. The transition to Crocs meant we up and walked out without the sneakers--a total amateur mom move. But oh well. It was a fun day and I don't regret any of it. Least of all that I indulged in not only ice cream but an amazing Momofuko Milk Bar cake that should be considered a person's lifetime allowance of sugar. Wow. That was some sweet, sweet shit. But man, was it good. First birthdays are about tasting it all and if the look on Atticus's face was any indication, this is going to be a very good year.


No comments: