Friday, April 22, 2016

Spring Fling

The weeks before Spring Break have floated by in a bit of a blur. The warmer temps have mostly stayed with a few exceptions. The dance costumes for both girls arrived to much excitement. It feels like summer is finally just around the corner. Could it be true? I suppose that's the point of having Spring Break at all. Just when you feel like things are so dull and dreary and the school year will go on forever, you get a glimpse of life after it's all over. So we're ready for that change. But seeing signs of spring and it's impending warm up have been a blessing. I made it out in the city with Katie one morning and we finally hit Underwest Donuts at the car wash on the west side. Perfectly timed with her need to get Euros out in K-Town at some sketchy exchange place, so we even gobbled some dumplings before rushing back home. I got my hair done and managed to keep the kids running around at the park in all the abundant sunshine. Not a bad month so far...
Finally made it to Elmhurst's Vietnamese/Korean mashup Joju and boy, was it worth the wait!
The daytime dates also continued this month with Nacho taking me on the East River Ferry to get lunch in DUMBO. I picked Shake Shack so we could sample the newish Chick'n'Shack which was every bit as good as I'd hoped. I even liked the pickle!  It was a nice day to reconnect since it felt like he was working overtime with the lead up to his week off for Spring Break. He's had lots of international (mostly UK) trips lately and I think he's really feeling his groove. Amazing to think that this was all just a dream a year ago. Now he's looking forward to a May full of awesome overnights (Paris, Milan and Amsterdam) and I'm doing my best to be excited and not too jealous. I know how much he deserves this. And he's never been to some of those cities! Crazy that I already have. Time for the European to catch up. ;)  And speaking of travel and all things international, Elisa has her last Spanish class before break and they must have discussed the Dia del Libro which was the following Saturday. Her teacher had on his full Spanish costume a la Cervantes and I couldn't resist snapping a quick photo. I also made it a fun pre-break weekend for myself joining the ladies for BINGO night at St. Sebastian's. Kerry got us a table and we quickly filled it up with all our playgroup madness. Wine and dinner included for $25 and I put another good sum into the raffles and 50/50. Definitely a great evening fundraising and helping support our community. I only wish I had skipped those extra pints at Donovan's afterwards in return for more sleep before my communion shoot and packing. But all in all, it was a great lead up to our Spring Break and I was definitely ready to get away. 

No comments: