Sunday, March 20, 2016

Easter Egg Hunt

It might have looked like spring was arriving this weekend, but it sure didn't feel like it this morning. With the temperatures in the upper 30s as I left the house for the park, I knew it was going to be a chilly Easter Egg Hunt. But that didn't keep us from pulling out all the stops. We had Starbucks come pour coffee, Dunkin Donuts gave us plenty of sweet treats, and most importantly our volunteer crew showed up ready to work! I am serving as VP of the Sunnyside Gardens Park's Executive Board this year which is a flashback to 2013 when I served as Assistant to the VP. I was a bit naive back then about what I was getting myself into, but this time around I can't say the same. It's a lot of work. And it's volunteer. And yet, most of the time I'm glad to be helping out again. I mean I do love a good party. 
I heard from a number of people that this was the best egg hunt in a few years which made all the effort worthwhile. In addition to some fun games, I think parents like that we limited the kids from collecting eggs and getting candy endlessly. You find a few eggs and then turn them in for candy, allowing for the hunt to continue for hours. However, I had a brainstorming moment as I was putting in my Oriental Trading order a few weeks back that perhaps some decorative stamps could help us keep track of the sneakier kids who might try to get more than their share of candy. The solution: two stamps--one for each hand--and you were done.  And it worked! I don't think the kids were put off by the colder weather and fortunately the sun stayed out and that helped a lot. Elisa and Carolina both won stuffed bunnies as prizes and I let them eat all the candy they wanted since they really didn't bother me too much as I worked. We wrapped things up by about 3p.m. and then it was home to recover and take a much deserved nap. Easter won't be here for another week, but the sugar haze is already starting.

No comments: