Friday, December 11, 2015

Holiday party time!

Tonight was the Amazing Magic Beans Holiday Party which meant our normal Friday night routines of ballet and Spanish class went out the window. Again. Last week we had to force Elisa to go despite massive protests while Carolina skipped out on her class because she was sick. Compounding that was the fact that we also had to take Abuela to the airport. But today, I was on my own so we simplified things and honestly, it all turned out pretty good. We boomeranged from pick up at 3:30pm to get Elisa at the bus stop by 4:00pm and then back to AMB for the party after that. The kids sang and made crafts and loved all the sugar cookies with do-it-yourself icing that covered one table. I had to step in and become the cookie cop for a minute after noticing several kids bellying up to the bar one too many times. Later we grabbed our music sheets and after Elisa and Juliet practiced Jingle Bells a few times, we were off for some caroling. Before the party, I pulled Lauren aside and plead my case for not going up under the train for the caroling this year. I still have PTSD from dragging Elisa back home the night we went when we got separated from the group on the south side of the boulevard and an old man screamed at me for pulling her across the street when she was about to lay down in the middle of the boulevard in protest. Oh yeah, it was a great night. So this year being my last, I just wanted a shot at remembering this as a fun evening of holiday music. We always sing the dreidel song, Jingle Bells, Rudolph and Twinkle, Twinkle Hannukah Lights. All fun and the kids really get into the act. Ending up just down the block in front of the big apartment building with all the decorations was a success (well, except for the kids punching and pummeling the moving blow up displays) and I took the girls out for pizza at Skillman's Famous afterwards. The holidays are just kicking off in earnest and even though we're expecting record high temperatures this weekend, I'm beginning to feel a little excited. Two more weeks!

No comments: