Saturday, November 28, 2015

Accion de gracias

This year we had a lot to be thankful for starting with abuela's impromptu visit the week before Thanksgiving. It mixed everything up a little bit and eased us into the holiday mood with lots of city walks and visits as well as good, home cooked Spanish food courtesy of her culinary repertoire. And though our effort to hit LIC for a quick family photo didn't end up so successful, we did manage to check out Carmen's new digs and later invite her back to our place for her birthday dinner of canelones and flan.  It might not have been a lavish meal out in Manhattan, but I think she appreciated it just the same.  And then just like that, it was time for me to step out of my role as passive bystander in the kitchen and start cooking--Thanksgiving dinner was on me this year and I needed a full day to prepare it! Though I have to admit, I mostly enjoyed the flurry of prep and planning that went with it. I couldn't possibly explain the relevance of these sentimental dishes--green bean casserole, anyone?--to my mother-in-law, but I'm sure she got the gist when she saw the mash up of flavors on the plate. This is tradition and childhood all rolled into one. It's America. It's turkey and stuffing next to candied sweet potatoes. It's me learning to make the best gravy ever because I couldn't let that turkey down. And I didn't! 

Just before asking everyone to come fill their plates, we made a quick trip up to the roof to check out the sunset which was happening right before 5 p.m. It was a perfectly warm, beautiful evening after a lovely day (which I unfortunately didn't get to enjoy outdoors).  And that's when I realized that maybe I prefer colder Thanksgivings, especially if it means I'm not missing much outside while I slave over the stove. I also mastered my pie crusts this year with homemade oil-based dough, making my momma proud (or so I like to believe). I was happy with the results and the lip smacking going that evening after everyone was sufficiently full. After dinner we even managed to squeeze in a round of Trivial Pursuit (which the boys won--boo!), before piling into the living room to watch "Elf." That there were a few newbies watching made me happy and I think everyone enjoyed our adopted holiday tradition. I missed my family and the past few Thanksgiving dinners at Stacey's house where I did nothing to help towards the meal. But I was also pleased to host again. It's always such a cozy evening, and this year was no exception. Hosting a new person who has never enjoyed an American Thanksgiving always makes my heart happy, so I was pleased that Jose and Irene brought a Spanish colleague to join us. We ate and laughed and ate some more. With all the suffering and craziness going on in the world these days, it was a delight to break bread with friends who share our values and make such good company. Thanksgiving was just an excuse, and a tasty one at that. 

No comments: