Wednesday, May 27, 2015

AOC Field Day 2015

Earlier this month it was time again to head outdoors at Academy of the City and enjoy a morning of field activities. The initial day was postponed due to a threat of rain, but by Thursday morning, the clouds and cool temps had left leaving us plenty of sunshine and warm weather. A bit of a mixed blessing, really since it was much cooler last year with overcast skies. But oh well, the kids really didn't mind except that they were all very thirsty by the end of the two hours. Next year I must remember to bring more water! Otherwise, they ran and played and jumped with great abandon. Elisa acted a little clingy with me (shocker), but finally found her groove flying over the hurdles and racing with bean bags and plastic eggs. The games were pretty much the same as last year, and the teams were all mixed up so kids from different grades played together. I thought it went smoother initially than the chaos of setting up last year. So kudos to all the teachers and Mr. Quinn for giving it their best. I really love seeing the whole school participate in something like this because it reminds me of my own field days at Fleetridge Elementary. Those were some of the best days at that school and the ones that stand out after all these years. I hope Elisa will feel the same way some day. Til then, I just enjoy watching the kids frolic and play which is as much about learning as studying your multiplication tables. Everyone needs some fresh air and running around to grow. Hard to remember sometimes as an adult, but it's true. 

No comments: