Thursday, February 9, 2012

Half a year

Today we had Carolina's six month check-up and guess who's measuring big? Yes, we have another girl who's off the charts with her height and keeps that curve flying high. For the record, she measured 28 inches and 18 lbs. 9 oz. I just double checked Elisa's stats around that time and she was 17 lbs. and 27 1/2 in. So we're in the same ballpark and like I suspected, I think Carolina is going to continue to outpace her sister in the growth pattern. She just looks so much bigger lately. I guess there's something about the six month mark that makes you realize she is at the apex of her babyhood. Right. Now. It's all moving forward at lightening speed and I keep trying to remind myself that when I hold her in my arms (especially at 3 or 4 a.m.) that this won't last forever. Just as I sit down on the edge of Elisa's bed most nights and look at this three year old who has so much to tell me and wonder who is she? Who will she be? We've been reading The House That Jack Built and she gets such a kick out of the rhyming. I swear she's memorized half that book already and it just makes my heart full to hear her sing along to the words with me. I can't imagine Carolina as a toddler and yet that day is coming. So often I hear or read about friends who's kids are already school age and getting older and they wax nostalgic for their baby years. I swore I wouldn't ever do that, but I can feel it now. I'm sure I'll have my moments of missing this babyhood stuff. I didn't believe that after Elisa's trial-by-fire infancy, but with Carolina things are so much easier that it's possible. It's in her wide-eyed smile at 5 a.m. and her silly belly laugh when you tickle her with your hair...she can only communicate with those little grunts and shrieks and she forgives me so many times when I can't rush to her first. She is such a patient girl. Sometimes she has this little sigh that she gives you, like "okay, mom, I'm still waiting. You go ahead..." It's wonderful to hear and to be able to scoop her up and hug her little body all while I know that she is going to pull my ears and eat my face in scratchy satisfaction moments later. And I do love that move. Carolina has a quiet intensity that might just help her out when it comes to dealing with her sister. Because as much as Elisa loves to shower her with affection, I can also see how she tests Carolina sometimes with playful little hits and slaps. I try to curb that and Elisa feigns ignorance, but her day is coming. If I remember right, little sisters know how to get in their moves too. So Elisa better watch out. Six months and counting til their first spat. Oh, yes, how I can't wait to see where this goes...

No comments: